Charleston, SC – Goodwill Industries of Lower South Carolina has partnered with VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) to provide free tax help to low and moderate income people that need help preparing their tax returns.
The free tax assistance is available at Goodwill’s Community Service Center (2150 Eagle Drive, North Charleston) by appointment only to individuals with an income of $49,000 and below. Individuals who qualify can schedule an appointment by calling 843-566-0072. Individuals are asked to bring the following to their appointment:
- Complete copy of last year’s return
- All 2012 informational statements, including:
- Wage statements – Form(s) W-2
- Interest and dividend statements – Form(s) 1099INT and 1099DIV
- Mortgage interest statements – Form(s) 1098
- Pension and social security statements – Form(s) 1099R and SSA-1099
- Tuition payment statements – Form(s) 1098-T
- Property tax receipts for any property taxes paid in 2012
- Information on deductions
- Copies of Social Security Card
- Bank account number and routing number to deposit your refund
- Valid picture ID
VITA volunteers receive IRS training and are certified to help prepare basic tax returns. Volunteers may help with special credits, such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Credit for the Elderly or Disabled.
For more information about the VITA program, visit www.irs.gov. For more information about Goodwill, visit www.PalmettoGoodwill.org.
Goodwill Industries of Lower South Carolina is a nonprofit social service organization whose mission is to help people achieve their full potential through the dignity and power of work. Over 90 percent of Goodwill’s revenue goes to fund mission related services. Goodwill serves their mission by providing career counseling, job training, and other employment related programs to people who have barriers to employment. Last year, Goodwill was able to place over 800 people into new jobs and served over 40,000 in South Carolina. For more information about Goodwill’s programs and services, please visit www.palmettogoodwill.org.